Hey guys,

Just figured I'd post up a conversation I had with a mold maker today and get thoughts as I may be wrong.

I had a company pull a job which was running PVC. The tool maker showed up today to pickup the molds, I guess they're having them reworked.
Upon having a conversation with the guy, he didn't even know the parts were PVC (something I always tell my mold guy before he works on the molds is the material)
After that, I said, yeah, processing it is a pain. You have to run a stainless screw(at the least, should be coated), stainless mold and a non shear screw tip. These are things I was always told was needed at the least while I was growing up.
His reply was, "Well you need the screw to be gold plated and the mold had to be gold or nickel plated."\

I'm only 21 years old. I don't know everything and anything (and I'm sure no one else does know everything about molding), but that made me scratch my head.

THEN I had told him I had a few jobs coming up that I would need quoted, the reply I received was "Well, I have 17 molds on order right now and I am completely booked until mid-next year. There's a bunch of tool and die shops around here, I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you with those projects, I can't do it. Too busy"

I've never heard anyone turn down work. I use a tool and die shop in Pittsburgh (and my company has for 19 years, and my grandfathers company has used them for the better part of 30 years), and I know they're not busy enough to be booked for 17 jobs, nor will they turn down work.

I'm just baffled by this guy. I could honestly be wrong about all of this, but I'm not sure. Just figured I'd share my experience.